Tag matching

bvasu

05 Mar, 2014 04:17 PM

This is probably simple but I don't seem to be able to fix the tag matching. Please provide a specific example. Our instances all start with prod.

Thanks!

Sent: Tue Mar 4 16:31:36 2014
To: [email blocked]
Cc:
Subject: Failed to snapshot and prune volumes
Auto forwarded by a rule

Scheduled snapshot and prune for volumes whose name tag contains [prod*] in [Virginia] failed - Did not find any matching volumes

• The Ylastic Team
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ylastic on 05 Mar, 2014 05:24 PM

use name tag contains prod

you dont need the asterisk. It will find all instances whose name tag value contains the substring prod

2. 2 Posted by bvasu on 07 Mar, 2014 04:31 AM

Thanks but it still did not work. The latest message is:

Scheduled snapshot and prune for volumes whose name tag contains [prod] in [Virginia] failed - Did not find any matching volumes

Here is a snapshot of our EC2 tags:

Four out of five have the string "prod" in them. Clearly there is some key thing we are still missing.

Thanks!

Bill Vasu

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ylastic on 07 Mar, 2014 12:50 PM

can you give us a screenshot of your volumes page showing one of these volumes?

thanks

4. 4 Posted by bvasu on 07 Mar, 2014 01:04 PM

Maybe I am still new to some terminology, as well. My intent with what I am currently doing is to take and store a daily snapshot of our running EC2 instances for disaster recovery purposes. Am I approaching this correctly?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ylastic on 07 Mar, 2014 01:10 PM

Setup a task to backup all matching volumes. These are the volumes that are used by your instances. You will need to tag these volumes in that case. create a name tag for the volumes. A name tag would be a tag with a key of name and value whatever you want , for instance prod-xyz. The task will then look for all EBS volumes with matching tag string in the name tag and create snapshots. If you just use * for tag string it will match ALL volumes. You can do that too if you like.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions on this.

thanks!

6. Ylastic closed this discussion on 08 Aug, 2014 02:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac