Backup jobs are shown as "in progress" 8 hours after start

Holger Isenberg

20 Nov, 2013 09:59 AM

My 5 scheduled backup jobs run successfully every day, at least a restore from them is possible, as tests showed.

Though every days, all 5 jobs are shown as "in progress" state until the next scheduled daily launch. What's the reason for that? The screenshot attached was taken at 09:50 UTC, about 8 hours after the snapshots have been created.

1. 1 Posted by wvondrak on 21 Nov, 2013 06:16 PM

I noticed this too in my account. However if you go to see your EC2 Instances and select on one of the instances being backed up and then click on the backups tab you will see the backups completed. If you then go back to the Backup Jobs you will notice that the "In Progress" is no longer there.

However.. what I have noticed is that If I do this then the maximum number of backups for your project is increased by one. For example if you had setup your backup job to keep 2 backups and then after the 3rd backup (which showed "In Progress") you go the instances, select the backup tab and simply see the job you backup job will now be completed but you will noticed the next time that the number of backups increases by one.

So... This leads me to believe that the reason the job is "In Progress" is that the purging of the backups happens right before the initiation of the next backup job. Thus the reason it is in progress is that in essence the backup happened but the purging of the backup has not yet happened.

Conclusion... This seems a little bit of bad programming, you would expect the job once to be like this:

1. Backup
    2. After Backup check the number of backups available for this instance
    3. If number of backups is greater than max number of backups required, delete oldest backup
    4. Stop, End Job

However it seems to be doing this
    1. Backup
    2. After Backup wait until next job scheduled to check and see if max number of backups required is greater than max number required, delete oldest backup.
    3. End Job

Last thoughts... I also have not tested this but I think the issue has to do with the implementation of CRON. I do not recall having this issue when either it was only one instance that was being backed up. On another note have you noticed that the instances do NOT shut down prior to the backup if you select "the ensure volume consistency". Mine do not stop prior to backup. But I do remember that they did when it was the first one (which I did not use CRON).

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ylastic on 21 Nov, 2013 07:06 PM

Looking into this issue.

thanks

3. Ylastic closed this discussion on 08 Aug, 2014 02:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac