how to retrieve the windows admin password for an ec2 instance??

jlawson

27 Dec, 2013 08:34 PM

Is it possible that you guys can make this interface of yours totally less intuitive? When I go into "retrieve windows admin password" from the menu on ec2 instance, what the heck does this mean:
Copy and paste the contents of your private key file into the text area

is this from user settings passwords? where do I get this private key info? Some kind of help or context help menu would be great...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ylastic on 27 Dec, 2013 08:42 PM

Sorry if this is not clear. That is your AWS privater access key for the AWS account you are using.

thanks

2. 2 Posted by jlawson on 27 Dec, 2013 08:44 PM

Since I created this instance based on another instance shouldn’t all the users on that original instance come over as well? Just wondering.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ylastic on 27 Dec, 2013 08:49 PM

Any time a new windows instance is launched, the way AWS does things they need the private key so they can give you the auto generated password. Sorry I have not used windows instances much myself. Did you just try to login with the password you already have from the previous instance?

4. 4 Posted by jlawson on 27 Dec, 2013 08:59 PM

Yes, it does not work.

I opened up another ticket today asking how to update the TYPE or size of an existing instance. If you can answer that one then maybe I don’t need this question answered.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ylastic on 27 Dec, 2013 09:18 PM

Select instance, from instance actions menu, "modify attributes'. Some attributes can only be modified after stopping an instance.

6. 6 Posted by jlawson on 27 Dec, 2013 09:22 PM

I just stopped the instance and NO the type/size is not included as an option to be able to be modified. So how do I do this? Is this possible?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Ylastic on 27 Dec, 2013 11:19 PM

I needed to refresh the page after I stopped the instance and then I was able to change instance type. Did this not work for you?

thanks

8. 8 Posted by jlawson on 27 Dec, 2013 11:36 PM

Yes. Got it. That is pretty krunk. OK thanks for the help!

9. Ylastic closed this discussion on 08 Aug, 2014 12:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac